Victim Information

The resources on this page have been compiled to assist those who have been victims of crime and and are looking for ways to protect themselves from being further targeted by criminals. Persons who have been victimized can take proactive steps recommended by the agencies below to prevent identity theft, scams, or other fraud. Not all crime can be prevented. However, individual vigilance can go a long way. If you have reported a crime to the Saint Paul Police Department, you will be contacted by the investigative unit handling your crime. In many cases, there is no information for investigators to follow up. This does not mean your case will be closed and forgotten. Investigators will retain your case, and if additional information is developed the case will become active. Should you develop additional information about your case, please call the investigative unit working your case.

Rights & Services for All Crime Victims

  • You have the right to apply for financial help for losses resulting from a violent crime. This assistance does not cover property losses. For application and information, call (800) 247-0390
  • You have the right to request the law enforcement agency withhold public access to data revealing your identity. The law enforcement agency will decide if this is possible.
  • You have the right, if an offender is charged, to be informed of and participate in the prosecution process, including the right to request restitution (money court ordered from the offender and paid to the victim).

If you feel your rights as a victim have been violated, call the State of Minnesota Crime Victims Ombudsman's Office at (651) 282-6258, 1 (800) 247-0390; or TTD (651) 297-2100. If you do not understand your rights or anything printed here, call one of the phone numbers listed below. Someone will help you.

Victims of Domestic Assault

  • You can ask the City or County Attorney to file a criminal complaint
  • You also have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an Order For Protection from domestic abuse. The order could include the following:You also have the right to notification if the prosecution of the case is declined or criminal charges are dismissed.
    • An order restraining the abuser from further acts of abuse
    • An order directing the abuser to leave your household
    • An order preventing the abuser from entering your home, school, business or place of employment
    • An order rewarding you or the other parent custody of or visitation with your minor child or children
    • An order directing the abuser to pay support to you and the minor children if the abuser has a court order to do so