Records Information and FAQ's


The Records Division of the Goodview Police Department is the information center of the Police Department. Records is responsible for gathering and dissemination of all police records according to Minnesota State Statutes for Data Practices.  The Records Division is responsible for the entry, retention, storage, management of all records.   

The Records Division responds to requests for copies of police reports and other official documents which are received from the public, insurance companies and public and private agencies.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located and what are the office business hours?

4220 W. 5th Street
Goodview, MN 55987

8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m  Monday through Friday

How can I obtain a copy of a police report? To obtain a copy of a police report, you will need to fill out the Data Request Form(form located at the bottom of page).

  •  Scan email the request form to:
  •  Fax the request to 507-452-9186
  •  Mail the form to 4220 W 5th Street Goodview, MN 55987
  •  Drop off the request form off in person at the Goodview Police Department.

Once the request form is received, it will be processed in the order received.  All record requests are processed during regular business hours, 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m M-F. The report will be released in compliance with Minnesota Data Practices Laws. If you have any questions, please contact police records at 507-452-1500.

What law enforcement data are public and what are confidential?

The Government Data Practices Act (Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 13) regulates the release of government and law enforcement data. Government data is classified as either Public, Private or Confidential. There may be some information in a report that is public and other information that is classified as private or confidential.

Law enforcement data that are always public include: arrest data, request for service data, transcripts of 911 recordings, and basic information about the law enforcement agency’s response to an incident.

Law enforcement data considered confidential are criminal investigative data on an active investigation—that is, the data collected by the law enforcement agency to prepare a case against a suspect. If the law enforcement agency is still investigating the crime, members of the public will not be able to get a copy of the report. They can, however, get what’s often referred to as the public portion of the report containing basic information about the case that is classified as public. 

A victim or victim’s legal representative (such as a parent) can make a written request to the prosecutor’s office to release investigative data collected by the law enforcement agency.  The prosecutor’s office may refuse the request if it believes that it will interfere with the investigation or that the request is prompted by a desire on the part of the requester to engage in unlawful activities.

Private data can be accessed only by the person who is the subject of the data, you may be required to show a valid state ID, such as a driver’s license, military ID, or passport as proof of identity. 

How do I take care of an Administrative Traffic Citation? 

If you have received an "Administrative Citation", you must either pay the fine within the allotted time noted on the citation (10 business days from the date of offense) or ask for a court date to be issued. Once a court date has been requested, an official State of MN Citation will be issued to you with instructions on how to obtain a court date. 

How do I pay the fine for a State Citation that was issued?

You may pay your fine by mail, phone or online.  Visit the MN Court "Pay Fines" website or call the MN Court Payment Center 1-800-657-3611 for more information.  

Are there any parking restrictions for the City of Goodview/its jurisdiction?


- From November 1 to March 31 there is no parking on any City street between the hours of 1 a.m. and 7 a.m. every day.
- No motor vehicle, trailer, boat, or seasonal vehicle shall be parked on any city street for more than 24 hours.

What do I have to do to make a complaint against an officer's conduct? 

You must fill out a formal complaint form in person, which is available at the Goodview Police Department.

What should I do if I am stopped by an officer while carrying a handgun?

If you are driving a car and get stopped while carrying, keep your hands on the steering wheel and inform the officer that you have a gun permit and that you are armed.  The officer will instruct you at that point.  Do not is reach for your wallet to get your permit and driver license, as the officer may believe that you are attempting to draw the gun.  (If you are on foot, the same applies.  Inform the officer and wait for instructions.)

Can I request a police patch for my collection? 

We receive numerous requests for our patches from patch collectors and other law enforcement enthusiasts around the world. The uniform patches of the Goodview Police Department are restricted. Patches are purchased with city funds, and for security reasons, it is our policy to only issue uniform patches to authorized employees of the Department. Our uniform patch is not currently available to the public and is not available for purchase.



Please Email the following form to