House Watch Request

If you are going on vacation or plan to be away from home for an extended period of time, the police department’s free House Watch Program can give you peace of mind.

Enlisting the police department to keep an eye out for suspicious activity while you are away from home does not guarantee against loss, theft, damage or mischief but it can be a useful deterrent to anyone who may be considering accessing your home for criminal purposes.

Whether or not you avail yourself of this free service, there are steps you can take prior to departing to safeguard your property.

  • Stop mail and newspaper delivery
  • Leave shades/blinds in normal positions
  • Put automatic timers on lights; set the timers so they will turn on and off at random times in different rooms
  • Leave a key with a trusted neighbor in case of emergency
  • Lock all windows and doors
  • Have someone park a car in your driveway occasionally
  • Arrange to have the lawn mowed/snow plowed
  • Shut and lock your garage door
  • Keep jewelry and other valuables in places other than the master bedroom (this is the first place a burglar looks)
  • Ask a neighbor to put out your garbage cans

Program Notes

  • Please note that enrollment does not create a special duty upon the police department to monitor your home.
  • House checks are not conducted on homes that are occupied for any length of time during the homeowner’s absence.
  • Enrollment is only open to homeowners who will be away for at least three days.

How to enroll
To sign up for the House Watch Program, just fill out the information below at least 3 business days before the house watch is to take effect and click "Submit". If for some reason there is a change to your plans after filling out the form or you are calling within 3 business days before your travel, just call the Goodview Police Department at 507-452-1500.

* - denotes required field